Wednesday 3 October 2012

A Silverlight Developer’s look at TFS 2010 Remote Hosting

 
 I’ve always like Team Foundation Server. The main thing that I’ve hated about it was installing/maintaining it. I’d rather spend that time learning more about things such as Silverlight/WPF/WP7.

 I really didn’t know what to expect as we use another source control at work and I’ve never had remote hosting like this. So how did it go? Let’s find out.

Since I’m only getting a free year, I decided that before I fall in love with it that I’d better check the prices/feature set. Below is a feature comparison that I thought would be important to someone shopping around for a remote hosted TFS 2010.

Feature Cost/Supported?
Cost $20 per user/per month
Disk Space 3GB ($10/month for 1GB extra)
Bug/Item Tracking YES
Team Web Access YES
Secure Access with HTTPS YES
Visual Studio 2010 Integration YES
Full Backups Daily

The only thing that really mattered to me was cost per user and daily backups. There was a few things that they didn’t support like Reporting, SharePoint and RDP, but that wasn’t a show stopper for me.

Since my blog targets Silverlight/WPF/WP7 developer’s, I decided to share how you would get started using a remote hosted source control and load a Silverlight Project and then load the project inside of Expression Blend 4. This is a tutorial designed for someone new to TFS2010.

Getting started with TFS 2010: 

One of the best things about TFS 2010 is that if you already use Visual Studio 2010 Professional then you don’t have anything to install. Simply Hit Team –> Connect to Team Foundation Server as shown below:

image

If this is your first time using TFS 2010 then you will need to add your DiscountASP.NET TFS Server Name by clicking the button called “Server” as shown below.

SNAGHTMLf2df9f7

At this point you will simply plug in your server name that you get after you log into your TFS 2010 Control Panel.

SNAGHTMLf2ece36

The Server Name can be found on the page below. You will add this into the “Add Team Foundation Server” box above.

image

After you add your server you will be prompted to login. This login is created from the “Group Membership” located inside of the DiscountASP.net control panel. This is shown below.

SNAGHTML2076b219

Assuming you have already saved a project you can now begin working on it.

SNAGHTMLf33eaea

You must map a drive first. You can do this from inside Source Control Explorer and look for Local Path:

image

After mapping, right-click on your project and select Get Latest Version:

image

Now if I load my project, you will notice “Locks” on each item:

image

This is telling you that you will need to do a “Check Out for Edits”

image

You may select any or all of the files to checkout.

SNAGHTMLf3a7aab

Now you will notice that you can edit them by seeing the red check mark.

image

After I have made some changes I’m going to “Check-In” my Silverlight Application.

image

Now that my changes are checked it, you will see the “Locks” again.

image

One of the great features of TFS 2010 is that it works with Expression Blend 4 as well. Simply do an open project and select the local solution that you are working on.

SNAGHTMLf407eef

After you log in you will see the same “Locks” again.

image

You can also Check-In the project from inside of Blend 4.

image

After you check-in you will notice the Red Checkbox.

image

Overall it was very easy to setup and use and I especially like the idea that I’m not responsible for maintaining it and providing backups and so forth. I’ve decided that going forward my private projects will be remote hosted using this service.  

Thanks again to DiscountASP.NET for providing excellent hosting of TFS 2010 and making my life easier.

No comments :